Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Diamonds and Pearls

 
According to society, life in the 20s is supposed to be fun, carefree, and somewhat irresponsible. This is a time when you can get away with doing absurd things and blame it on being “young and dumb.” This is also a time when you can for the most part still live off of your parents while exercising some elements of adulthood. Right? Well for some people, that is right. However, usually those people who live like this generally have a very hard time with adjusting to living with the consequences of those decisions made in their twenties. By the time the sweet thirties, or as society refers to it, the “dirty thirties,” come around, it can be summarized by one of the most quoted phrases… “If I knew then what I know now…” But at the same time, life should not be lived with a list of regrets; a list of woulda, shoulda, and coulda statements.

I was at a birthday celebration for a younger sister that was turning 25 years old over the weekend. One of the things that she asked of her guests that were over 25 was to share with her some things that we wished we had known at age 25. Of course immediately, my mind started going. The first thing that entered my mind was “Diamonds and Pearls.” I’m sure you are probably wondering how the phrase “Diamonds and Pearls” ties in with this topic. I am not referring to the thirteenth studio album released by the great artist Prince in October 1991. J However, I’m referring to the process in birthing a diamond and pearl is equivalent to the process of birthing wisdom. I’m speaking of the things that one must go through to have gained the wisdom they are to share with others. As I am now transitioning from one season of my life of the twenties to the thriving thirties, it is befitting of me to leave some things that I have learned from personal life experiences or from my own time of gleaning from mentors for my younger brothers and sisters behind to glean. I don’t profess to know everything as I am still learning myself. But what I do know, I humbly share with you.

As you can imagine, there are so many things that can be learned in the twenties. For the sake of time and space, I will list a running list of some of the things that I will be sharing in different blogs that address each individually in no particular order. Feel free to submit your questions as well and I’ll do my best to answer them.

  1. Never let another voice in your life be louder than your own.
  2. The step you leave is the one that creaks. ~ Bishop Jakes
  3. Write your vision.
  4. Make decisions for tomorrow, not today.
  5. If you’re going to do anything for God, do it now!
  6. Train people on how to treat you.
  7. You need at least 4 streams feeding you. ~ Bishop Jakes
  8. When you enter a new room, the first thing you need to do is shut up! ~ Bishop Jakes
  9. Train yourself to multicultural and multidirectional; having the ability to communicate with people in different life structures or systems.
  10. You are responsible for your destiny and success.
  11. Most people pan to fail, not succeed.
  12. The moment you are full is when you stop being filled.
  13. If you don’t speak your next season, life will give it to you.
  14. Everything is not the adversary. Something’s are just life.
  15. There is such thing as supernatural forgiveness because there are things that you will not be able to forgive in your natural mind.
  16. Pay attention to “repeat offenders” and understand that forgiveness doesn’t mean trust.
  17. No relationship is mandatory unless it is marital and that has it’s limitations (i.e. infidelity)
  18. You should never be in the same place after 365 days. Progression is a must!
  19. It is not God’s will to remain in any type of abusive relationship.
  20. Why halt ye between two opinions? Anyone that remains neutral, or warms themselves by the fire of your enemies, is usually playing both sides to his/her benefit.
  21. Live out loud, even when people want you to live silently.
  22. Never allow anyone to think that they know everything about you. They inevitably put you in the box that they think you should be in.
  23. Don’t just live outside of the box. Destroy the box so that you aren’t tempted to get back inside.
  24. Truth stands alone. Honor needs no defense. My critics never believed me. And my friends need no explanation. ~ Unknown
  25. Being young doesn’t give you a license to be dumb.
  26. Boredom is a result of unfruitful and unproductive living.
  27. Real leaders lead from the front, not the back.
  28. Verbiage is everything. Choose your words carefully.
  29. Never say never.
  30. Accountability is a must.
Love and blessings,

Lady Mia Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment