Monday, September 12, 2011

The Face of Disaster

I was completing an assignment on crisis management tonight and thought I would share a portion of the paper that I thought was significant to how we respond to major disaster. As I wrote, I couldn't help but think about all those people who were affected by the September 11 tragedy (which we are coincidentally remembering today), those who were forever changed due to Hurricane Katrina, or the earthquakes that have been occurring seemingly worldwide. Then I considered my own personal disasters...all that I've seen and encountered throughout my years, I realized that although our personal disasters may differ, the ravaging effects remain the same. They are gut wrenching, heart breaking, mind boggling...it can literally suck the wind out of you. I'm sure you are reading this and thinking of that one situation...that one "disaster" that you weren't sure that you'd recover from. And I'm also sure that you are also considering the one that didn't make it. Of all the people that didn't survive, you did. But for the grace of God! Don't you ever wonder why? Why you? Why did He take her but leave you? Why did it crush them, but fortify you? What great resilience you have! To stare disaster in the face and say (in my most country voice), 'I'm gone' make it anyway." I'm thinking...one of the things that causes me to fight...I mean keep pushing through is the fact that someone, or something has told me that I couldn't. If I wanted to quit, I wouldn't dare give my adversary the satisfaction of winning! I may have a scar or two, or four, or thirteen, or more! But I promise it's just a scar and not a fatal wound. I've been living by this motto...I'm LOL (Living Out Loud) even when there are those who want me to live silently! Anyway, here's the part of my paper that I wanted to share...
"In completing this assignment, there were observations that I made both in understanding the different types of crises, and in considering the different crises that I have experienced. One of the most interesting things that I have found is that when disaster strikes, people will either bind together, or they will tear apart. It is likened unto the fight or flight syndrome. More often times than not, I have found that people will fight together rather than against each other. One of the most memorable tragedies that I have of this very insight is that of Hurricane Katrina. During that time, people were put into the Super Dome for shelter. This meant that the sick were put into a room with the healthy, the honest with the dishonest, and the moral with the immoral. There were numerous accounts of those who were killed in the Super Dome as a result. But even through those situations, the majority of the natives of New Orleans stuck together. Another example of this is found in the tragedy of September 11, 2001 as it brought people together who may have never come together. Through disaster, I have learned that it knows no color, it knows no gender, and it knows no race. Disaster doesn't even know a name. But the rise of those affected by the disaster is predicated upon the strength and resilience that they collectively draw upon in hopes of a brighter future. "

Love You All...MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment